Monday, August 18, 2014

Rave Race - Runcations!

"Well, I think that's kinda crazy, but if that's what you like, then good for you!"... said my sister-in-law, from the pool, as I excitedly explained to the family that I found a 5K right at the beach where we were vacationing!
Apparently, there's a company that puts on weekly races along the Outer Banks (runcations.com), and they even have great swag!  For roughly 40 bucks, me and nearly 400 other people spent Wednesday morning running through scenic Currituck, beginning and ending at the Whalehead Club (sort of like Biltmore Estate at the beach).  There's a Wednesday series, called the Lighthouse 5K (there's a lighthouse right next door), and a Thursday series in Nags Head*.  For a 5k, it had surprisingly nice swag - a decent t-shirt (same brand as our Cheap Bait shirts!), sweat towel, stickers, and a MEDAL.

Bonus, they emailed my results, and included which place I was in my age group (11th out of 44) and overall (not quite as good!).  Post-race food was delish, and I even made a race friend - someone who was doing her first 5K ever and just needed to connect with someone for a little confidence boost (she also did great).

What's an early morning vacation race without a little treat afterwards?  Not worth having, if you ask me.. which is why I stopped at Duck Donuts on my way back to reward myself with maple bacon donut!  What a way to start the day!


*we actually stay in Nags Head, and had I known that there was a series a bit closer, I would have opted for that vs. driving nearly an hour up the coast to Currituck.. but it was a beautiful drive!  Next year I'll do Nags Head, and when the kiddo realized there was bling, he regretted his decision NOT to - he'll be joining me next year :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment